Our social meetings are held at a rotational venue every month on the second Thursday, at 7:00pm. Please check the events calendar on the home page for the latest information about the next social meeting venue.
Our business meetings are on the 4th Tuesday of the month and run from 6:00pm-8:00pm. Business meetings will be held at Imperial House in Downtown San Diego, 505 Kalmia St, San Diego, CA 92101-1629. Please feel free to stop by, even if you can’t make it by 6:30pm!
From 6:00pm-6:30pm we have informal networking. The official meeting starts at 6:30pm. After the meeting, people usually stick around and socialize.
A variety of activities take place at business meetings.
- Guest Speakers: To assist us in learning about local Democratic Party politics, SDCYD invites current politicians as well as candidates to come and speak at our meetings. This is a great opportunity to hear about their background, their positions on the issues and to ask questions.
- Endorsements: SDCYD endorses Democratic Party candidates. Current SDCYD members are able to vote in the endorsement process. Once a candidate is endorsed, the club encourages members to become active in endorsed political campaigns by volunteering to precinct walk, phone bank, etc.
- Information about Current Legislation and Propositions: SDCYD hosts guest speakers as well as tapping into the expertise of our membership to provide brief presentations on current legislative and ballot issues.
- Opportunities for Political Action: Representatives of local and national political campaigns often visit SDCYD meetings and present information about how to get involved in current campaigns.
- Community Service: One of the important aspects of the club is to promote community service. During business meetings, club sponsored volunteer opportunities are discussed.
- Networking: So you live in San Diego and you sometimes wonder if there are other liberal people out there. Stay after the meeting for the opportunity to engage in conversations with politically like-minded young Democrats!
You are encouraged to be an active participant at meetings and attendees can identify guest speakers or topics that they would like to see addressed at future meetings. You do not need to be a member to attend the business meeting, but there are advantages to becoming a member.